At the University of Amsterdam
- ‘Illustration, Book Art, Artists’ books’
- Field trip to Paris: Paris ville-livre
- In ‘Collecting, Curating and Display ‘
- In ‘The Image of the artist’
At Maastricht University
- ‘Arts and Audiences’ Elective
- ‘Cultural Education Elective’
- ‘Curatorship Elective’
- ‘Researching Arts and Culture’
- In ‘Style and Modernity’
- ‘From Realism to Abstract Art or the birth of Modernism’
- ‘Interdisciplinary exploration of Surrealism’
- ‘Picasso’s poems’
- In ‘Modernity and the Arts I’
- ‘Art and the Marketplace’
- In ‘Main Periods in Literature, Art & Culture’
- ‘From Rococo to Neoclassicism: Arts in 18th century Europe’
- In ‘Myth and Disenchantment’:
- ‘Heroes and Monsters: Mythology in the visual arts from Renaissance to Modern Art’
- ‘Representations of Evil’
- In ‘The Future of Literature’ at UCM:
- ‘The Power of Images: tracing the shift and forms of visual literature’
At Canterbury University
- ‘“Picasso who”? Introducing Modern Art’
- ‘Art and Revolution’
- ‘Challenging Traditions: Painting in France 1830-1900’
- ‘The Art Museum Past and Present’
- ‘Art in Literature, Literature in Art’
- Silence, Marres ‘Training the senses’ programme, forthcoming September 2018.
- Inaugural lecture, ‘”Illustration is everyone’s mother tongue”: the role of illustration in individual identity formation’ Amsterdam University, forthcoming July 2018.
- PAS Festival (Maastricht) ‘What (and how) do we learn in art museums’, September 2017.
- ‘The Bible and the Body: Word-Image-Enactment’ introduction to Peter Greenaway, 11 March 2015, Lumiere Cinema, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- ‘Talk About the Weather’, Public lecture, 7th August 2011, Dunedin Public art Gallery, Dunedin.
- ‘The Landscape Revolution’, Guest lecture in Art after Dark series, 18th November 2010, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington.
- ‘Romanticism – Dialogues and Exchanges between France and Germany’, Guest lecture in Art after Dark series, 11th November 2010, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington.
- ‘Larger than Life: A Short History of Monumental Sculpture’, Guest lecture, 20th October 2010, Christchurch Art Gallery.
- ‘Ron Mueck’s “Wild Man”, floortalk with artist Louise Palmer, 20th October 2010, Christchurch Art Gallery. Listen here…
- ‘Monet and the Weather’, Guest lecture in the symposium ‘Image and context: reflections on Monet and Impressionism’, 21st March 2009, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington.
- ‘Monet’s letters: writing the Impressionist project’, Guest lecture in the Friends of Te Papa lecture series, 20st March 2009, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa,Wellington.
- ‘Do we really need another book on Monet’, darling?’ Panel discussion in Art after Dark series, 19st March 2009, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington. Look at the discussion here…
- ‘Monet in Context: The Evolution of Landscape Painting From the Barbizon School to Impressionism’ Guest lecture, 10th of March 2009, Christchurch Art Gallery.
- ‘Mallarmé, Manet, Accursed Poet/Damned Painter: An interdisciplinary dialogue’, Guest lecture in the series Lectures in Art History and Visual Culture, 16th August 2007, Victoria University
- ‘Giacometti: Parisian connections’, Guest lecture, 31st January 2007, Christchurch Art Gallery.
- ‘Giacometti and the literary world’, Guest lecture in the symposium ‘Encountering Giacometti’, 10th December 2006, Christchurch Art Gallery.
- ‘Novels as historical/art historical documents’, Guest lecture in the Research Seminar lecture series, 27 July 2005, Otago University, New Zealand.